The Traffic Light is a type of formative assessment that can be used to
check to see if students feel they can apply (actually “do”) a concept/idea.The teacher presents a question and the students respond by placing either a red, yellow, or green sticky dot in the appropriate light on the Traffic Light. The teacher can immediately see the results and adjusts his/her teaching during the rest of the class period or the following day based on the results provided.
How to Use the Strategy:
1. Post a large Traffic Light in the classroom.
2. Provide red, yellow, and green sticky dots to students.
3. Pose a question to students.
doing this or easy to get here, yellow means that it is doable but will take
some work, and red means that you have much work to do here.
4. Teacher reviews the Traffic Light.
5. Teacher adjusts his/her teaching for the remaining part of the class
period or for the next day.
6. Students learn how to evaluate their positions on the Traffic Light
and make adjustments for their learning.
Download these resources to use in your classroom.
Directions for printing Toolbox Cards
1.Download the toolbox card
2. Select the save button in the right hand corner
3. Open the saved document
4. Select File>Print
5. Change Page Scaling setting to Booklet Printing
6. Change Booklet Subset to Both sides
7. Press OK