Analogy Building is a strategy that can be used to increase comprehension of a concept or idea. The concept/idea is compared to something else by using a simile.
A simile is a comparison between two different things using “like” or “as”. The simile is supported with reasoning.
How to Use the Strategy:
1. Identify a concept/idea to create a comparison.
2. Students individually think of their analogy (3-5 minutes).
3. Place students in groups of two.
4. Each person in the group shares their analogy with the other group member and discusses their reasoning (4-6 minutes).
5. Teacher may decide to have volunteers share their analogies with the entire class.
Download these resources to use in your classroom.
Directions for printing Toolbox Cards
1.Download the toolbox card
2. Select the save button in the right hand corner
3. Open the saved document
4. Select File>Print
5. Change Page Scaling setting to Booklet Printing
6. Change Booklet Subset to Both sides
7. Press OK