Description: A 3-Minute Pause is a type of formative assessment that can be used to quickly check for understanding. The teacher poses one to three questions at any point during the lesson. Students respond to one or more of the questions in writing on a ½ sheet of paper (an index card works). The teacher reviews the written statements and adjusts his/her teaching the following day based on the information provided. Volunteers can also read their statements at that time and teaching can be adjusted “on the fly”.
How to Use the Strategy:
1. Provide a ½ sheet of paper (index card), with/without questions.
2. On the ½ sheet of paper, have the students complete one or more of the following statements and explain
I was surprised about…
I became more aware of…
I want to know more about…
3. Collect the 3-Minute Pause sheets from students or have volunteers read and discuss their written statements with the entire class.
4. If the teacher collects the sheets, then he/she will review each.
5. Teacher adjusts his/her teaching for the next day.
6. Students learn how to make adjustments for their learning based on what they’ve written.
Download these resources to use in your classroom.
Directions for printing Toolbox Cards
1.Download the toolbox card
2. Select the save button in the right hand corner
3. Open the saved document
4. Select File>Print
5. Change Page Scaling setting to Booklet Printing
6. Change Booklet Subset to Both sides
7. Press OK